Sunday, February 15, 2009

Writing...

The last few weeks, I've spent my days at Boudhnath stupa, a large, whitewashed dome where Buddhists from all over Nepal (and elsewhere) come to pray. Many of the women wear traditional Tibetan dresses, and in particular, the clothing of various mountain people are on display as worshippers make koras (circumambulations) of the stupa. It's a beautiful and peaceful place, my favorite in Kathmandu, and my preferred location for the more introverted part of my project: the writing of stories.
I am gradually putting together a collection of short stories about my experiences here, almost all of them pieces about the deaf in Nepal. While they are fiction, all are based on real stories in one way or another-- the isolated deaf Tamang farmer I met near the Tibetan border, the young woman at the Naxal deaf school who was terrified at the prospects of getting new hearing aids, or the Naxal student who was a child soldier in the Maoist army before escaping (eating only leaves, practically starving, with a dwarf as his guide). These are stories you can't make up. As a writer, fiction allows for a different kind of reality, a conflation of events, a liberal dose of imagination-- but my hope is that these stories will ultimately ring true to some part of the deaf experience here.

I recently had the opportunity to workshop my first finished story with several writers: two American expats as well as Manjushree Thapa, the author of a novel, short story collection, and non-fiction. They all offered excellent advice, and I'm looking forward to getting involved in Kathmandu's literary community, even if I'm only on the periphery.

2 comments:

Mikaela said...

Hello, I hope that you are still checking comments left on this blog! I'm happy to have found it, as a Fulbrighter headed to Nepal this year (2010-2011). While my subject is unrelated to the deaf community there, I was impressed by the social programs I found for the deaf community when I visited Kathmandu in 2008, and my mother's hearing loss makes the subject close to my heart. I was particularly intrigued by the short stories you mentioned writing at Boudha. Have those since been published or do you have plans to publish? I would really love to read them.

All the best and thank you for sharing your experiences during your Fulbright year in Nepal.

marginalia84 said...

Hello! Like the above poster, I'm also hoping that you still check comments on this blog :-) I'm an anthropology student from the US, currently in Kathmandu for the summer learning Nepali (in Bouddhanath- it is a great place!) I'm interesting in learning more about the experiences of Deaf people in Nepal- have you published your stories anywhere? I would love to read them! Thanks, and all the best to you.